NICOSIA - Construction workers throughout the island continued on Saturday their strike as the Building Contractors Association said they would carry out talks throughout the weekend with the labour ministry and trade unions.
Earlier in the week the Association had turned down the fourth mediation proposal by the government to end the over two-week old builders' strike.
The strikers are threatening of indefinite action as well as that the labour unrest will spread into the hotels' sector.
The new proposal suggested that the collective agreements last until the end of 2014 but the Contractos want them to expire at the end of 2013.
“No-one can predict what will happen to our economy,” a statement from the Association said, adding that the situation was fluid and that they did not want to commit to a deal that would not end until December 2014.
A second point of rejection was the minister’s suggestion for the creation of an institution which will give professionals in the field a ‘green card’ to work in the construction industry in an attempt to squeeze out cheap or unqualified labour.